Napa is, what the vet has called him, an indiscriminate eater. Slugs, nails, socks, you name it, he’s put it in his mouth. Because our constant struggle to put together a “do not eat” list, we decided to keep this resource updated for ourselves and for everyone.
The ASPCA says not to feed me (or your dog):
- Alcoholic beverages
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Yeast dough
- Products sweetened with xylitol
But more specifically, what’s going to happen to your dog if you he DOES eat these things? Y’know.. on “accident”? Or maybe just because he likes your floors to be “crumb-free”?
Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure, and it only takes one serving.
Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.
Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. Your dog might be able to consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous. (Napa found M&Ms outside on the ground once and ate a few – so far, so good!)
Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes. Drats – no caffeine addiction for me!
Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general, their high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Exception to this rule seems to be PEANUT BUTTER (no jokes, thank you!). However- always use Salt/Sugar free ORGANIC Peanut butter (sugar encourages cancer growth) free . Try to use ORGANIC peanut butter because nearly all of the peanuts consumed in the U.S. are now among the most carcinogenic and pesticide-contaminated of any snack even we as humans can consume.
Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.
Bones: Cooked bones can splinter and damage my internal organs. Raw Bones should always be supervised as a piece can always break off and cause problems. Try frozen oxtails or frozen knuckle bones then take the bone away before your dog can swallow a final small piece whole. It’s a good natural way to clean teeth too.
Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmia. Tomato plants are the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (Napa has licked plenty of tomato sauce off the floor and been fine … but my dad’s dog likes to get into the tomato plants in the garden and now has a big issue with his pancreas!
Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart.
Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death
Apples, Cherries, Peaches PITS and similar fruit are great for your dog – HOWEVER, the seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them. It can also become lodged in the intestines and kill the your dog in 24 hours with no warning.
Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible. Scrambled lightly is best!
Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems (as with any living thing, I think).
Mushrooms: Can be deadly- never let your pets chew on mushrooms found in your yard. Only safe “food” mushrooms are shitaki, maitake and reishi. If you’re a mushroom expert, you should be all set!
Xylitol: Even a small amount can cause liver failure and death. You can find them in breath mints, toothpaste, gum, mouthwash and other minty things.
Sugar and Corn Syrups: These things promote the growth of cancer. Honey and Molasses are OK, though they should only be given in small amounts and never for to dogs with cancer. If your dog becomes hypoglycemic, corn syrup is ok to be used for emergencies – especially for diabetic dogs.
Some foods that you should be careful giving to your dog:
Dairy: Use caution with dairy products as they are high in fat and can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. Usually, nonfat plain yogurt is safe in small amounts as is cottage cheese in small amounts.
Bread: Don’t give your dog any white breads, or anything that converts to sugar. Remember this simple rule – feed no WHITE colored foods!
Grains: Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but these foods are generally safe in small amounts. In dogs that have hair in their ears and are prone to ear build-up (Napa is), it’s best to give them grain-free food to reduce build up.
Vegetables: Carrots (and vegetables in general) are great for dogs, but carrots should not be given to dogs with cancer and should be served in moderation, due to the sugar content. Dogs have shorter digestive tracts than humans and cannot digest most vegetables whole or in large chunks. It’s best to put them through a food processor before giving them to your dog.
Meat: Meats should be boneless and it’s best if the skin is removed. Some people like a RAW diet. Some people rather cook. If you cook meat do not over cook. Keep it ‘rare’ so you don’t kill the enzymes. ESPECIALLY FOR SICK animals. However all Fish and Pork must be well cooked. Also note – totally Raw and cooked diets should never be mixed at the same meal as they digest differently. Be careful with Tuna, because it’s high in magnesium and may have bones in it. Even though we like them, don’t feed us ‘cold cuts’. They are high in salt and nitrates and can lead to kidney and digestive problems.
With all this in mind, remember doggies, like humans, may also have allergies or just plain don’t tolerate certain foods. Many are allergic to chicken! If something makes your dog sick, make sure you call the vet and don’t feed it to them again. If your dog has eaten anything on the “do not eat” list above, call the ASPCA Poison Hotline – (888) 426-4435.
Many treats and food sold in supermarkets are what are making us pets die young and get cancer or diabetes. Remember to read your labels. Look for these no-no foods like corn syrup in the ingredients.
Note: Much of this content was pilfered from treshanley.com.
Side note: Do you run a business in the pet industry? Would you like to drive more traffic and sales to your site through a search-optimized pet blog? Get in touch with my office-mates at Lantern Content Marketing!