Do you know what to feed a sick dog? If not, try these two recipes!
Before trying any of these remedies, please bring your sick dog to an animal hospital or veterinary clinic. Do not feed your dog bullion cubes, chicken stock or broth. These items are known to contain onions, which can be deadly to dogs.
If your dog has ever been sick, you know how fussy they can get about eating and drinking water. Sometimes their eating habits change, and they don’t even want to eat or drink. Below are a few things you can try to inspire your pooch to eat and hydrate themselves.
Ground Beef and Rice for Dogs
Ground beef and rice for dogs is the perfect meal for a pup who isn’t feeling well.
- 1 package of organic 80/20 ground beef
- Leaner ground beef is good too, but try to stay away from the fattier mixes.
- 1 package of white rice
- Minute rice works well and cooks quickly.
- Heat a frying pan to medium/medium high heat.
- Add your ground beef. Whatever you do, do not season the beef with any kind of spice. I repeat, do not season the beef.
- While the ground beef is cooking, you can begin to cook your white rice according to package directions.
- Cook the beef until it’s brown. Cook your rice until it’s tender.
- In a bowl, begin to mix your cooked ground beef and your cooked rice together.
- Wait a minimum of 10 minutes for the beef rice mixture to cool before serving to your dog.
- Serve a small portion of the ground beef and rice for dogs meal to your sick pup and observe. If he doesn’t vomit or have diarrhea, you can feed him the rest of the serving. How much of a portion you share with your pup depends on how big your dog is.
When Napa gets sick, he doesn’t drink water. We have to monitor his drinking habits because he can come very dehydrated quickly. We learned that we needed a way to inspire him to drink. That’s how tuna water was born.
- 1 Can of Tuna
- Water In Your Dogs Bowl
- Fill your dog’s bowl of water
- Open the can of tuna so the lid is 90% detached.
- Squeeze out the tuna juice into a bowl of water. Try to get as much out as you can.
That’s it. Your dog should drink from their bowl as normal. They will have smelly tuna water all over their mouths. You’ll want to clean up after their slobber immediately and keep them off any furniture until you wipe their mouth.
These are the two most essential things you can feed your dog when they are sick. Do you feed your dog something special when they’re sick? Let us know by leaving a comment.
Side note: Do you run a business in the pet industry? Would you like to drive more traffic and sales to your site through a search-optimized pet blog? Get in touch with my office-mates at Lantern Content Marketing!